FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- IS BASE COAT ALWAYS NEEDED?
- IS TOP COAT ALWAYS NEEDED?
- WHAT TOP COAT IS RECOMMENDED FOR NAIL ART?
- MATTE TOP COAT, DOES IT’S FINISH BECOME LESS MATTE OVER TIME?
- WHAT IS A CUTICLE?
- WHY SHOULD I PUSH BACK CUTICLES BEFORE POLISH APPLICATION?
- SHOULD I USE CUTICLE OIL DURING A MANICURE?
- DOES NAILSTATION POLISH EXPIRE?
- WHEN A BOTTLE OF COLOR HAS BEEN UNUSED FOR A LONG TIME AND THE COLOR LOOKS UNEVEN, SHOULD I SHAKE IT?
- HOW TO AVOID MY NAIL POLISH TO THICKEN?
- CAN I USE THINNER TO MY NAIL POLISH BOTTLE WHEN IT BECOMES THICK?
- DO I NEED TO CLEANSE THE NAILS BEFORE APPLYING A BASE COAT?
- WHY SHOULD I USE GAUZE INSTEAD OF REGULAR COTTON?
- SHOULD I SHAKE THE NAIL POLISH BOTTLE PRIOR TO APPLICATION?
- DO I REALLY NEED A BASE COAT?
- DO I REALLY NEED A TOP COAT?
- HOW LONG SHOULD I WAIT TO APPLY MY TOP COAT AFTER PAINTING MY NAILS?
- HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE FOR MY NAIL POLISH TO DRY?
- HAVING BUBBLES ON YOUR NAIL POLISH AFTER APPLICATION?
- WHAT CAN I DO TO MAKE MY MANICURE LAST LONGER?
- CAN I USE NAILSTATION COLOR WITH THE BASE OR TOP COAT FROM ANOTHER BRAND?
- WHAT IS NAILSTATION’S BIO-SOURCED RANGE ALL ABOUT?
- WHAT IS BREATHABLE NAIL POLISH AND WHY WOULD I USE IT?
- WHAT'S THE RIGHT WAY TO REMOVE GEL POLISH AT HOME?
- WHY YOU NEED TO SWITCH TO NON-TOXIC NAIL POLISH?
- IS NAILSTATION TESTED ON ANIMALS?
1. Is base coat always needed?
A base coat is always recommended in order to protect the nail and help the color adhere. The one exception are Nailstation’s breathable colors, which are specially formulated to be used in one or two coats in order to be water permeable: in this case the base coat is optional and only one coat of color should be applied.
2. Is top coat always needed?
Adding a top coat is an important step, designed to seal, shine, and extend the wear of your manicure. Some of our top coat are also formulated to accelerate the drying process.
3. What top coat is recommended for nail art?
Nailstation recommends 60 seconds top coat for nail art as it’s gel texture will give a high shine and seal the nail design between the polish and the coat.
4. Matte top coat, does the it’s finish become less matte over time?
The matte top coat can become less matte during wear as natural oils from the skin transfer onto the nail. To refresh your matte look, cleanse with an alcohol wipe.
5. What is a cuticle?
The cuticle is dry, dead skin that is tightly bound to the nail plate. Cuticles appear white on the nail if not hydrated and softened regularly with any cuticle oil.
6. Why should I push back cuticles before polish application?
If not pushed back properly during manicure or pedicure prep, the cuticle will transfer oils from the skin to the nail. This might result in polish lifting and shorter wear time. Use Nailstation’s “gel emollient” cuticle softener to push back the skins.
7. Should I use cuticle oil during a manicure?
Cuticle oil can be applied before a manicure while removing an old color with acetone to keep your nails hydrated. But if used before, be sure to thoroughly cleanse the nail before polish application with alcohol on a gauze or simply water.
Cuticle oil is recommended after a manicure and on a daily basis to prolonged your polish’s life as your cuticle will be nourished & hydrated to stay soft and avoid any liftings.
8. Does Nailstation polish expire?
Unopened, Nailstation polish has 24 month shelf life. Always keep the neck of the nail polish bottle clean and store it somewhere cool, out of any direct sunlight. Make sure the cap is always sealed tight after each use to prevent unnecessary drying of polish caused by air.
9. When a bottle of color has been unused for a long time and the color looks uneven, should I shake it?
If a bottle has not been used recently, the oil from the formula may begin to separate. In this case shake the bottle thoroughly before beginning the nail prep so it has time to settle. This will give time for any air bubbles created by shaking to rise back to the surface.
10. How to avoid my nail polish to thicken?
First of all, the neck of your polish bottle should be clean after every use. (Use nail polish remover and gauze instead of a regular cotton to avoid pieces going in the bottle). Product left on the neck of the bottle will dry, causing the cap to seal less and less tightly over time. Solvents exposed to the air will evaporate, causing the product to thicken.
11. Can I use thinner to my nail polish bottle when it becomes thick?
Never use thinner in nail polish bottle. This process may be done once for one last manicure application with that same color but then the polish bottle shouldn’t be used again. This process will affect the formula and create uneven application and chipping may occur.
12. Do I need to cleanse the nails before applying a base coat?
Yes. Thoroughly cleanse the nails with polish remover; them use a gauze swab with water or ethyl alcohol. Be careful not to touch any oils or cream with your fingers that could transfer to the nails, as it would shorten color wear and create chipping.
13. Why should I use gauze instead of regular cotton?
Traditional cotton balls or cosmetic cotton rounds can leave pieces of cotton on your nails or on the nail polish brush. These cotton pieces may be invisible until you apply the color and your polish will have an uneven appearance.
14. Should I shake the nail polish bottle prior to application?
Shaking can create bubbles. Instead simply roll the bottle upside down between your hands.
15. Do I really need a base coat?
A base coat is always recommended in order to protect the nail and help the color adhere. Choosing the right one could prolong the life of your manicure, prevent chipping, nourish and protect your nail.
16. Do I really need a top coat?
A top coat is always recommended but choosing the right one could help your manicure dry faster, last longer or create a textured finish that your polish can’t achieve.
17. How long should I wait to apply my top coat after painting my nails?
One coat of polish takes about 30 to 60 seconds to dry. This is about the time it takes for the average person to paint all of their nails, so once you have painted all your nails, you should be ready to add the next coat. Once you have applied two coats of color, you can start again at the first nail with your top coat.
18. How long does it take for my nail polish to dry?
After you’ve painted a base coat, two coats of polish, you can apply 60 seconds top coat and literally let it set for one minute.
19. Having bubbles on your nail polish after application?
Pause between coats. During a manicure, allow each coat (base, color, and top coat) to dry 30 to 60 seconds before applying the next coat. If applied too fast the surface layers will dry more quickly than the layers underneath, trapping solvents in tiny bubbles as it tries to evaporate.
20. What can I do to make my manicure last longer?
To help your manicure last longer make sure you clean properly your nails to remove its natural oil. This process can be done with ethyl alcohol, or water, using a gauze swab.
Then apply a base coat in order to improve adhesion and protect your natural nail. Make sure you use two coats of polish and wait 30 to 60 seconds before each application.
As a top coat, Nailstation recommends Keratin Hardener, let it set for a few seconds, then add 60 seconds top coat to improve drying process.
While applying polish, remember to always seal the free edge to prevent chipping at the tip of the nail. To do this, remove most of the polish from the brush, and then tap it across the free edge of the nail. Do this for every layer—base, both color coats, and top coat. This will “wrap” the free edge of the nail for a longer-lasting manicure.
21. Can I use Nailstation color with the base or top coat from another brand?
Base coats and top coats are created with optimal wear and shine results. Use Nailstation base and top coat with Nailstation color as formulas are compatible and results are assured.
22. What is Nailstation’s bio-sourced range all about?
Certified 85% organic, Nailstation has created a range of colors in which solvents have been replaced by vegetables substitutes that guaranties a long lasting wear and high gloss. The range owns about twenty vibrant shades.
Note that in order to use all it’s benefit you must use the two in one Yummy Earth base & top coat.
23. What is a breathable nail polish and why would I use it?
Nailstation has recently launched a new series of colors differently formulated to be breathable and permeable. The nail polish allows water & air to pass through he varnish in one or two coats.
It’s new approach is a revolution for muslim women in some region of the world who couldn’t pray with nail polish on as it would create a barrier over the nails and prevent water from getting underneath. The method borrows a polymer used in some contact lenses, which allows oxygen and moisture to penetrate to the nail.
24. What's the right way to remove gel polish at home?
We turn to a gel mani for durability (they last about three days) and that signature glossy shine. But when your nails have grown too long, we know too well the temptation that comes with wanting to remove it.
How to safely remove a gel manicure at home: All it takes is a little patience—and these two easy steps.
With Nailstation's gel, you don't need to buff the first coat. Simply place a cotton ball soaked in acetone on each of your nails, then wrap the tip of your finger in foil to hold the ball in place. Let your nails soak for for about ten to 10 minutes. For a spa-like experience, wrap your hands in a warm towel.
If the polish isn't easily sliding off, grab a fresh acetone-soaked cotton ball and place it on the nail for a few more minutes. Once all the polish is off, add moisture back to your nail beds with a cuticle oil.
25. Why you need to switch to non-toxic nail polish?
You shouldn't need a Ph.D. in biochemistry to decipher the nail polish industry's arbitrary non-toxic ingredient code. Nailstation nail polishes are considered 7-free, meaning they don't contain the undoubtedly toxic formaldehyde, toluene, dibutyl phthalate (DBP), camphor, ethyl tosylamide, formaldehyde resin & xylene.
26. Is Nailstation tested on animals?
Nailstation does not test on animals, nor do any companies that we work with. We do not distribute our products anywhere that require animal testing by law nor have they given any permission for their products to be sold in these markets. We are totally cruelty-free.